Tucson Modernism Week
October 3 -11 2014
Download printable map
The Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation presents Tucson Modernism Week 2014, beginning Friday, October 3rd through Saturday, October 11th. The celebration will feature a series of programs, film, lectures and events highlighting Tucson’s Mid-century Modern design and architecture throughout the city, along with the very popular vintage trailer show.
This year, Tucson Modernism Week spotlights Architect Icon Robert Swaim who was a principal at Cook & Swaim and CNWCS Architects from 1961 – 1969 before founding his own firm, Swaim Associates, Ltd. In 1969. Swaim’s considerable modern contributions include Orchard River Townhomes and the Western Savings and Loan inverted pyramid building. Swaim Associates, Ltd. is one of the largest architectural firms in Southern Arizona.
Tucson’s Modernism captured the exuberance of the post WWII era, and is defined by clean, simple lines and a casual informality. In the Southern Arizona desert the movement has come to be defined as Sonoran Modern with the use of regional materials, adaptation to the desert climate and an emphasis on indoor/outdoor living.
- For Press/Editorial inquiries/Marketing/Media Partnership inquiries contact:
- Jenifer Powers
- Tucson Modernism Week Press Liaison
- For Sponsorship/Underwriting contact:
- Patricia Katchur
- Tucson Modernism Week Sponsor Relations
- For Pop-Up Shop and Expo space contact:
- Darren Clark
- Tucson Modernism Week Design Expo Manager
- If you would like to volunteer, or you represent a group of volunteers, please contact:
- Carrie Dally
- Tucson Modernism Week Volunteer Coordinator
- To sign up for updates about Modernism Week subscribe to:
- Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation mailing list
- Sign Up Form